An armadillo’s digging habits can be very destructive to your home, which is why it’s important to take control when you see the first sign of damage. The most effective way to get rid of armadillos is to call an ACE professional to come out and humanely handle the situation, but here are our top tips you can try at home.
Armadillos wander into your yard in search of food and shelter. Because most of their food underground, completely removing attractants is nearly impossible. However you can make your yard less welcoming by removing covers like low-lying shrubs or brush, this will make burrowing less likely. Be sure to also clean up any fallen berries or fruit that can attract them.
Identify the Damaged Areas
Whether they are excavating your lawn for food or burrowing underground for shelter, armadillos are most destructive when they’re digging. Identifying areas of damage will help you determine the best control option.
Common armadillo activities include:
– burrowing next to or underneath structures, sidewalks, low-lying shrubs, brush piles, or other cover
– damaging underground wires and/or pipes
– digging holes throughout the lawn, about 3-5″ wide and about 1-3″ deep
– uprooting seedlings and plants
– creating cracks in driveways, sidewalks, or building foundations as a consequence of burrowing
An ACE animal control professional has the knowledge and equipment necessary to humanely resolve your armadillo problem. Contact an expert here and get a free estimation! We service Atlanta areas, Asheville, Greenville and Charlotte, humane wildlife removal.